Waking
up to the reverent fragrance of incense sticks, was daily habit.... Hariprasad
Gaitonde, my roomie ( of course not his real name !! ) , would stand by the window, almost
in the buff , a wet towel covering the bare essentials , hands folded,
head bowed, ...i am sure he half closes his eyes ....just in case God lands up......two
lit incense sticks wedged in between his index fingers....reverently mumbling his early morning prayers. Waking up
the heavens with this rhetoric.
“ I’m not like any Tom, Dick and Harry” he used to say when asked about this wet reverence .” I am a devotee” he briefed the rest of us.
“ I’m not like any Tom, Dick and Harry” he used to say when asked about this wet reverence .” I am a devotee” he briefed the rest of us.
The
bachelor pad was just getting over last night’s booze bout.Struggling with a hangover, contemplating, if the last swig in the bottle was still
available for a quick morning round with contaminated tap water. so much for acquired immunity. The water tank probably had dead rats in it ... in any case, the stale ,
re-heated “choley bhaturey” from “Pappu’s dookan” would kill the whiff of ..the
whatever we were on and negate anything. Not
looking forward, to the working day, better to stay in bed and catch up on lost sleep. In any case the frequent “bandhs” and “
andolans” had messed up the market….sleep was the best investment. Mummy told
us to sleep well. There …justified.
Sleeping late, ...No ... Not HP, no he was a class apart...he was good to go, fresh ironed shirt and trousers, polished shoes, allprim and proper, by 0745 hrs .HP was an ideal son eligible bachelor, the perfect employee, punching in at 0759 am for two years at a stretch. Hotly pursued , by the enterprising marriage middle - men…the perfect husband to be.” No…..No he does not drink….no affairs….no smokes…no nothing…...devout..spotless reputation…God fearing… good looking…good company ”…the “shadi dalals” had a field day when they were touting HPs CV to second hand maruti 800 owing shady looking ,pan parag chewing prospective dad – in - laws .
Sleeping late, ...No ... Not HP, no he was a class apart...he was good to go, fresh ironed shirt and trousers, polished shoes, allprim and proper, by 0745 hrs .HP was an ideal son eligible bachelor, the perfect employee, punching in at 0759 am for two years at a stretch. Hotly pursued , by the enterprising marriage middle - men…the perfect husband to be.” No…..No he does not drink….no affairs….no smokes…no nothing…...devout..spotless reputation…God fearing… good looking…good company ”…the “shadi dalals” had a field day when they were touting HPs CV to second hand maruti 800 owing shady looking ,pan parag chewing prospective dad – in - laws .
“
Im not like any Tom , Dick and Harry” HP
insisted , when the rest of us cronies suggested , that we play his family and
negotiate and collect the dowry from his smuggler (could be drug dealer)
prospective father –in-law… and split three ways . HP would not take the money .
He was a devotee….HP would still get the girl ..his wife, and hmm …Kishore kaka
the paan dookan chappie, could play HP’s
father …and we his brothers..…ok split four ways .HP was listening….HP was a
good listener.
“
What if ..my Mother, and Father find a girl and fix an alliance in my village
?” he challenged us with this very apt question…. “ Adjust bhai “…we replied
…Polygamy was no problem if secrets could be kept, ….one wife in the city …one
in the village…..HP was a zamindar one and only beta, a very devout beta….of
course he loved us as friends…and he had such a nice heart. ..do it for us HP …do it for us ..please !!! …..“ I am no
Tom Dick and Harry” ..he blurted out almost apologetically …the get rich quick
dreams disappeared for the rest of us …at least for the moment.
This......was a long time ago.......a very long time ago …in fact “ Maine Pyar Kiya “ had
just completed 100 days in the nearby Lata Hall. We lost touch in a year or so
Many
,many, many years later…by the ghost of a chance or divine intervention… I met
HP, in a roadside café in steel city, surprisingly , we recognized each other
….i had not changed much …..It had been ages years since we moved
out following our own dreams..living our own lives . We bumped into each and
wham!! …HP was now a conversationalist and bordered on being cop …., I had been
taught by life to listen ” good to catch up buddy !! he said …married
? he asked… “Yeah” .kids
? yeah …wife works ? yeah …settled
? ..yeah looks like…middle management job ..huh ? ..yes ..sort of…good group ? ..yeah …want
some more tea..? …hmm well yes..why not ..you don’t get to see an old friend
…everyday…. HP pulled out a pack of smokes..and offered me one…no I quit ..hey that’s nice he said ..when did you start.... I asked ? ..he blew onto my face ….”Long
story ..Long story “ he muttered..” …lets go get a drink..he suggested ..Steel
city was full of cheap bars…” I was shocked ..HP and booze ...??
No I got to be back by the evening train ..i
said. ..|” oh come on” he said …I had to turn it down I was not
doing the pub crawl any more ..”you’ve
changed buddy” ..he noticed .”.you ‘ve dumped all this ? ” …Sort of I managed
to blurt…” but you surprise me …HP “ you were this great devout .and vehment .teetotaler…?
what happened ?
“ I am still devout ...long story … you don’t want to know “ he said ..He was right . In a nut shell
…married the perfect woman , split , re-married , split..booze, a bit of
drugs…smokes, kept job hopping …obviously booze and grass had done him in …in fact he was
now living in …”you see”… he went on “ Im no Tom Dick and Harry “ people mess
with me ”lifes been unfair to me “, … I had no time ..I had a train to catch …I
did not want his number…No point keeping in touch with a total loser. “ Mail me
“ he said . “.sure thing..” ..call me … the will do
will do nonsense , business cards…I jumped on a waiting cab, and slammed this
loser shut behind me
…after
all Im no Tom Dick and Harry.
The HP I knew as a roomie was not the HP I
met….. they say much of life is lived by the choices we make, one would even
question if righteous living did guarantee a good deal as life plays out . HP
did seemingly make the right choices ..and he got a lousy deal …well..bad luck ?predestination ? …..stupid
choices ? ….I did not have the answers… ..may be HP was an exception….I did not
know and I did not care....the rhythmic Steel City express …need a shut –eye …tired
…grateful ...satisfied …redeemed ..yeah redeemed and
sleeping ….
No comments:
Post a Comment